Saturday, August 31, 2013

Lagging Ubuntu (Desktop) on VirtualBox in Windows - Updated

Background story: I wanted to look at GIMP source code and hack it. Sadly, the tutorial preferred Ubuntu to auto build the latest source code. So I tried installing Ubuntu, dual boot with my Windows 8. Due to UEFI problem, I could not boot to Ubuntu. I tried Ubuntu on VirtualBox before, but since it was too laggy, I dumped it.

So, since my laptop could never boot to Ubuntu, I retried Ubuntu on VirtualBox. It is still laggy, even after I gave 2GB RAM. Apparently, it seems that the problem is due to Ubuntu's Unity using 3D acceleration. I am trying this solution to improve the lag problem:


It still lags in my laptop and I am still working on it, especially that the 3D support and software rendering is still off.

Update:
Stupid me. I did not enable 3D acceleration in the VirtualBox setting. After I enabled it (I followed the above help before it, so not sure if the link is the one that solve the problem or just the setting), it becomes silky smooth. Nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment